Friday, June 8, 2007

Side Saddle: Where NOT to Begin


I
n my previous post, I began with how my journey started, but it brings up another issue. A friend on another side saddle list said that in keeping a journal, people may want to know what went wrong as well, not just the successes. So, I feel obligated to share that with you where not to begin your journey riding aside. It's a little site I like to call...eBay.

I like many others who want to get started in this art, begin by searching eBay for side saddles. While you might find some really interesting saddles at a really good price, I have two in my collection and neither are appropriate for my horses. The early saddles tend to be narrow through the tree and are meant to fit the horses of the time, not our more robust horses. On the reverso, I have two lovely examples of the saddler's art of the late nineteenth century: a Western style and an English style from mid-Pennsylvania that will make wonderful conversation and educational pieces.

The other reason not to just plunge head long into riding aside is that it is a different way of riding. My instructor referred to the posture of riding aside as teaching the body a new "normal". There are nuances to this style of riding that are not readily apparent, even to accomplished riders who ride astride; I whole-heartedly recommend that you find an accomplished horsewoman (or man - yes there are some that teach it) to instruct you in the art of riding aside. Mounting, getting ones seat, correct leg position and posture whilst one rides is paramount. Also, making sure that you have the correct saddle for your horse. This is another reason why I don't recommend eBay side saddle finds that goes beyond mere fit.

If you aren't familiar with this style of riding or the equipment, you can't really judge a good, safe side saddle from a poorly made, dangerous one that can have any of the following issues, cheap leather, a horn in the wrong place, poorly attached tree fittings, etc. These are all ingredients for disaster. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I have to say it, there are people out there who are only interested in monetary gain, and that craftsmanship, that in the Middle Ages would get the saddler fined or expelled from their guild, and have their saddle burned for being shoddy product, doesn't matter to the less scrupulous any more than your personal safety. So go with knowledge and experience over the "too good to be true" deal. Your horse will thank you and it just might save you from taking a nasty spill or worse. Caveat emptor (Let the buyer beware).

So, with that out of the way, onto my very first side saddle lesson.

No comments: