Monday, June 11, 2007

Aborted Lesson


April 15, 2007

It was time for the third side saddle lesson, but alas, it was not meant to be. You know the old poem for the “want of a horseshoe nail the battle was lost”? Well for the want of a screw, the lesson was lost.

Ah costume...er-ah, I mean saddle malfunctions.

sigh

The lesson started off with great promise. I was actually going to ride a new horse. He was tacked up and we moved into the indoor. Gail mounted and did her regular warm-up ride and girth tightening. Then it was my turn.

When I mounted, the saddle seemed to slide toward me. We tightened the girth again and then Gail and I moved off a few steps, but already I kept moving my seat toward the off side; I halted.

“I feel like I’m sliding.”

After an examination, it was determined that the saddle we were using wasn’t a very good fit for my mount. The padding didn’t help and the saddle was low at the pommel and sinking into the horse’s withers. So wanting to make sure that his experience was as good as mine, I dismounted while Sue brought in the backup saddle.

The backup saddle was placed on the horse’s back and then it was discovered, a screw in the safety stirrup’s attachment was missing. Being that it was only my third lesson and I was on a new horse, I didn’t want to chance not having a stirrup. So, we canceled the lesson for the day.

It is reasons like this that it is very important that new riders work with experienced equestriennes when fitting saddles and for proper instruction. No one is beyond learning something new, no matter how long they’ve ridden. Besides, it’s a sad day when you don’t learn something.

No comments: