Monday, June 11, 2007

My First Side Saddle Lesson


January 21, 2007

There’s an old adage, ‘You’re never too old to learn’. Dom Duarte, King of Portugal (early 15th century) had written in his treatise on horsemanship Livro da ensinança de bem cavalgar toda sela, that people could ride no matter their age or ‘infirmity’. And it’s true. Less than a week after my birthday, I’ll let y’all guess which one; my little Stratus was swiftly moving toward Holden Massachusetts, with my husband Bob riding shotgun, for my first side saddle lesson.

It was a bitterly cold day, not unusual for January in New England, but the sky was as bright as my anticipation of my first aside lesson. Nothing short of a blizzard or a nuclear event was going to keep me from my goal. This was something I had to do.

I must have bored poor Bob to death. My excited chatter made the hour long drive seem non-existent, at least for me, and soon I found my car pulling into the narrow driveway of the riding facility that hosted my instructor. We had arrived fifteen minutes early for the noon appointment; this gave me ample time to put on my black Ariat Springbucks and my half chaps. Oh, one tip, never wear thick wool socks with Ariats. I never thought I’d get the zippers up and had to press poor Bob into service to help. The goal was to keep my toes warm, it was January after all.

We sat in the car and waited for the appointed time. I anxiously and repeatedly glanced at the clock, “Come on 12!” At five minutes of, we made our way to the entrance of the facility, helmet bag in one hand, Canon-GL1 in the other, that’s a video camera by the way, if I was going to experience side saddle, vanity demanded that I see how I looked while riding aside. I have to give props to my honey for being the sport that he was and indulging me.

As we walked in, Bob and I were stunned by the narrow aisle and the small stalls, and the seemingly pony-sized horses. Now keep in mind, my mare is 16.1 hands. My husband’s gelding is a strapping young boy of 17 hands. So size is relative. And in that “narrow aisle”, we found Gail, my instructor and Sue, my co-instructor and saddle technician. They were preparing Ben, a cute, but grumpy little quarter horse that would be my lesson partner. This was the second time he had a side saddle on him, so it was going to prove interesting.

My excitement spilled over. Bob and I chatted with Gail and Sue about our horses and experiences, hobbies (living history specifically), my goals and reasons for taking up riding aside and other things. While they were fitting Ben, Sue talked about fit while keeping a weather eye on Ben, who was grumpy about his sides; occasionally threatening a kick while having the girth tightened.

Finally, Gail slipped the bridle over Ben’s muzzle and ears, unclipped him from the cross ties and walked toward the large wooden door at the end of the aisle, “Door!” She called out. “Enter” was the reply from beyond. As the door rumbled open, it revealed the indoor. It was time to ride!

Gail was first up. She wanted to make sure that Ben was warmed up for the lesson and to make sure that the saddle fit him. After all, it wouldn’t do to have me tumble off and making an impact crater in the footing. Normally I wouldn’t be concerned, but did I mention it was January? Things hurt a lot more when it’s cold.

So, I watched Gail make the circuit in both directions, effortlessly, or at least she made it seem so, tightening the girth as she rode. She rode up to the mounting block and dismounted. It was finally my turn. We were to start off at a walk and would work up to a trot. Trot? I wasn’t expecting trot. Trotting astride was one thing, trotting with both legs on the same side...hmmm... sounded risky. A mix of concern and excitement moved me to the mounting block.

Gail demonstrated the safety stirrup. She lifted up the saddle skirt and held the stirrup leather and the iron parallel to the ground, “You want to be careful, this is a safety stirrup, it’s meant to release, so if you pull it up beyond this point” she lifted it slightly above the horizontal, “it will detach.” I gave her my best Mr. Spock dubious, arched eyebrow, to which she added, “That’s a good thing, that’s what it’s supposed to do.”

Before I mounted, I was told that when placing the saddle on the horse, make sure that the saddle was slightly off center toward the off side. That way when the rider mounted, if the saddle slid, it would actually center. It worked.

So, I put my foot in the single safety stirrup, and up I went. I sat astride to properly adjust my seat. Then Gail told me to place my right hand behind me on Ben’s rump and then swing my right leg over the horn and into position. The reason for this is to keep your hips in the proper position. She then gave me some instructions on aids and how to keep my posture and the pressure that I should use with my right calf to keep my purchase on the saddle. As she walked next to me, she would occasionally adjust my left toe.

It was a lot of minor adjustments as I rode; things to remember and apply as we went. Then she asked if I was ready for a brief jog, and then we were off.

In my first post, I addressed the issue of “why” someone would choose to ride in this manner, aside from the historical precedent of long flowing dresses and propriety, the second half of the “why” question was, “isn’t it dangerous?” Well, in all honesty, the art of riding is inherently dangerous. We are not mounted on a bicycle or a motorcycle. We are atop a living creature with a mind and will of its own that does not always comply with ours. However, I do have to agree with Mrs. Houblon’s assessment of physique playing a role in riding aside.

Excerpt:

The principles of riding and the ends at which we aim are exactly the same side-saddle as astride. This is a point that I should like to make clear from the beginning. Of course, there are certain details in execution which differ in the two modes of riding, and certain adaptations which have to be made when riding side-saddle; but the broad principles, the principles of balance, poise, suppleness, rhythm, sympathy, firmness of seat, independence of hands, and nicety in the application of the aids, remain the same, and so do the results which we strive to attain.

How, then, are we to decide whether to ride astride or side-saddle?

I think the answer is that it depends on our physique.

There are some women whose physique enables them to ride astride so beautifully that they do not feel it necessary to add riding side-saddle to their other accomplishments. These, however, are in the minority, and to most women I would say ride side-saddle, for it will give them that firmness of seat (the foundation on which rests the whole superstructure of good horsemanship) which, owing to their physique, they would never have astride. After all, the average woman has not got the same muscular strength as the average man; and where, in cases of emergency, the man has to use all his strength to retain his balance, the woman, riding astride, would probably fall off. On the other hand, if she rides side-saddle, she may even succeed in remaining on her horse on occasions when the man, riding astride, would "part company."

I do not say for a moment that it is impossible to fall out of a side-saddle. It is, at times, only too easy! Nevertheless, it is an undoubted fact that a side-saddle can give a woman a far firmer seat than she would ever have astride.

Mrs. Doreen Archer Houblon, Side-Saddle, Chapter 1, pg. 1

To lend some credence to the last statement, at one point, I was unconsciously relying on the stirrup too much and pushing against it with my left foot. This caused my left leg to move too far forward and as I rounded a corner while at a trot, I momentarily, and unwillingly shifted my balance enough to get my undivided attention; you know that feeling. When your stomach suddenly feels like it's the size of a cherry pit; and my mount fell out of the trot. At no point did I feel like I was going to ‘part company’. I have ridden astride most of my life and I have to tell you that I felt more secure on that side saddle than I did riding astride in my Australian stock saddle.

Now, a little something about my physique, I have wide hips and powerful legs. I am certain that these two physical attributes allowed me to stay firmly seated. I was able to ride longer and more comfortably that I had for a long time in an astride saddle. So in the case of my physique in relation to that of my horse, at least for me, means that a side saddle is probably the better choice for me. We will see how this idea bears out over the next few months when I actually try this on my wide barreled mare.

The remainder of my lesson went well. It was an awesome experience that I recommend anyone try at least once.

The dismount is not unlike playing “around the world” on the back of the horse. I turned my body sideways and scooched toward the cantle of the saddle. I raised my right leg over the saddle horns and removed my other foot from the stirrup. Then when I was ready, slid to the ground and the lesson was over.

I can’t wait until my next riding lesson.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I stumbled on your blog and was surprised to recognize Gail - two years ago I had taken a couple sidesaddle lessons with her, but had to stop because of school and selling my horses. Anyways, I've been wanting to start up again but I can't remember the name of the barn - I think it's in Holden? If you could help me out that would be so great!

Jenn said...

Hi,

I think that you're looking for East Hill Riding Academy in Holden, MA. If you can't find it or need to make arrangements, contact Sue Tobin either via the N.E.A Side Saddle Association, or through Side Saddle Heaven.

Cheers,

Jenn