Monday, June 11, 2007

My Second Side Saddle Lesson


F
ebruary 18, 2007

Took my second lesson this weekend. One word...OUCH.

I was riding a different side saddle that dropped my left hip making me feel like I was sliding off to the left despite the fact that the saddle remained true. So, now my left back muscles are sore and my right leg kept stressing at the hip joint and in the last trot, my right calf cramped because I was compensating for the drop. That and my right leg was working really hard to keep me forward where I needed to be.

The saddle had a longer seat than the previous one I rode on. It apparently makes "A LOT" of difference, also the amount of padding under the right leg. So the riding lesson turned into a valuable "seat" lesson; having the proper saddle for the rider. Both the fitter and the instructor switched to the new saddle thinking it would be more comfortable for me, turned out that the previous one, despite the horn over my left leg being a little tight, and having a shorter seat, was more of an ideal fit.

Despite all this, I still had a blast. I'm still getting used to the "new normal" -- not having my right leg to aid. My grumpy little QH was not as grumpy, though he was still a bit of a pill at times.

I'm hoping to get the chance to try out two Circle R custom saddles (www.circlersaddles.com) in the 1.8 - 2.6K range) at my next lesson. I'll let you all know how it goes. In June I will have my mare fitted for a custom side saddle.

No comments: