Friday, June 8, 2007

Side Saddle: A Novice's Journey


I
had been thinking about riding aside for a few years, but various reasons, the chief amongst them being the lack of an instructor, brought the idea to an abrupt whoa. Then one day, I don't remember if it was just a moral imperative after looking at a XVe century French manuscript depicting ladies arrayed in damask finery and riding palfreys aside, or a conversation with a friend of mine in our living history crowd, that spurred me on again. Needless to say, I was bitten by the blue tail fly, but instead of being bucked and pitched, I began searching in earnest for an instructor. I had to learn this style of riding.

My introduction to this elegant art of horsemanship began in December of 2006. After various searches, I found the NEA (New England Aside) Association and sent an email to them in hopes that they would have a member who could help me achieve my goal. Within a day, I was contacted by the organization's secretary and a dialog began. The NEA was very helpful and soon, after the long and seemingly fruitless searches, I finally had the name of an accomplished horsewoman not too far from my home that taught ladies the art of riding aside and access to a side saddle technician who was well versed in the history of the saddles and would bring various types of side saddles to my first lesson to show me how to check the fit and introduce me to the parts of the saddle.

Now some of you might be thinking, 'why on earth would anyone want to ride that way, isn't it dangerous?'. Well, read on, because I found myself wondering the same thing...about the dangerous part, but now...let's take a look at the first part of the "why" question.

Why on earth would anyone want to ride that way?

Well, the simplest answer is another question...why not?

Firstly, I am a historical interpreter, when not performing my real job as a UI Designer. My area of interest is XVe century Burgundy and France, that's the 15th century (1400-1499). I normally portray three roles depending on the need of the group. The first is a mounted archer -- this is an archer much akin to how we think of mobile artillery. I ride to the battlefield, dismount and join up with other archers and armed personnel of a Burgundian Lance of the Ordinance Companies of Charles the Bold, Duke of Valois Burgundy (1467 -1477)-- I would normally ride my horse astride for this portrayal. My next role is that of a middle class Burgundian merchant. For this role, I wear a full dress and can ride my horse astride, though this is deemed to be not very ladylike, and unlike the English ladies of Richard II's reign and before, the ladies on the continent had been riding aside for a very long time, as early as 1192 if some of the extant seals of noble women are accurate. My third portrayal is that of a lady of the lower nobility, and it is for these latter two portrayals that I found it necessary to ride aside. In historical re-enactment of the Middle Ages, it is an under represented part of the woman's equestrian portrayal.

The second 'why' has to do with physical issues. I'm about 5'-4" and I ride a 16h mare, who I lovingly refer to as La Belle Dame sans Merci (The beautiful lady without mercy). She is a heavy hunter with a round, wide barrel. This tends to cause knee and back stress for me. During my first lesson (I'll get to that in a future post), one of my instructors told me that a side saddle is a good saddle for relieving some of these issues. By not having to ride with a leg on either side, I don't have to practically split myself in half to ride, thus alleviating the stress across my lower back. Also, since I don't have to wrap my legs around a wine cask (my mare's barrel), I don't cause stress on my knees. So a side saddle has made it possible for people with different levels of physical impairment to be able to pursue riding again or for the very first time. And I have to tell you, that it is a wonderful thing.

So, there you have the 'why' of riding aside and the beginning of my tale. Next, I'll tell you where not to begin.