Monday, July 30, 2007

Goldwork: Taking a step back


O
kay, I eagerly tore open my Benton and Johnson "Golden Lily" kit and decided that after reading the directions (all text, no pics), that I was in over my head a bit. I lack a familiarity with the embroidery terms and proper stitching technique. On the plus, I did manage to finally get out there and get an embroidery hoop and a proper set of needles to begin, but I needed more information on the "how to".

An earlier internet search had put me on the trail of vendors of gold and metal threads. Some of the vendors even had a selection of books. This brings me to a lovely little book that just arrived at my doorstep: Beginner's Guide to Goldwork by Ruth Chamberlin.

This little book is packed with useful tips and how to information on not just goldwork, but regular embroidery as well. It is lavishly illustrated and contains a plethora of beautiful, and richly detailed images of the author's work. Her experience in the field of ecclesiastical embroidery shows not only in her beautiful work, but in the working tips regarding patterns and making a duplicate. One for working on and one for reference. She also shows beginners how to properly stretch their working surface and how to make sure you have your design properly centered in the frame.

It is a wonderful little book and my husband is excited at the prospect of finally having an embroidered flint and steel for his livery jacket done in the proper style. But that's another project.

.

No comments: