Friday, September 14, 2007

Bank Transfers!


Good Grief
, the amount of "fee" that is extracted on both sides of the world is incredible. Not only do I end up paying the $35 on my side, but also, because the bank that handles international wires, extorts another 48 EUs out of the merchant I'm doing business with, I get "zapped" for another 36 EU. This unfortunately makes it hard to work with small craftsmen. The pain might have been less transparent if they had a paypal account or something. I'm not blaming the merchant, I'm his first US customer and they've been very up front and have a solid reputation. They were just as surprised as I was. Usually European banks do a 4-6 EU fee, but for some reason the US and another country, he didn't mention which one, get trounced in the exchange.

Somewhere in the background I can hear John Cleese in an old Schwep's ad saying, "Do you have a word for highway robbery?"

Global Economy my....@$$@#*&*%#!

I'm starting to wonder what this is going to cost to get my bauble shipped to England and then to the US.

Current mood: perturbed.


.

4 comments:

Machteld said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Machteld said...

Bank transfers within Europe are incredibly expansive too! Tranfering money from the Netherlands to Belgium (which is no distance at all!) costs 8 euro...

It's so stupid

Jenn said...

I know. That's what the merchant was saying. That it normally costs them 6 euros, but instead they were loosing about 24-48 on a transaction.

Jenn said...

Oh...btw, the other comment wasn't rejected, I had deleted it, because it looked like a duplicate.